Five of the six occupants in a Jurong West flat have been taken to hospital after a fireplace, doubtless attributable to a charging electrical bicycle battery, broke out on Wednesday morning (Jan 19).
The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) stated in a Facebook publish it was alerted to the hearth at at Block 723 Jurong West Avenue 5 at round 6.10am.
When firefighters arrived, the hearth may very well be seen contained in the unit on the third ground.
Its six occupants had evacuated earlier than their arrival, together with about 45 occupants in neighbouring flats.
SCDF stated 5 occupants from the unit have been taken to Singapore General Hospital for smoke inhalation. No different accidents have been reported.
The blaze concerned the contents of a lounge and was extinguished with a Compressed Air Foam Backpack.
Pictures in SCDF’s Facebook publish present the charred stays of the lounge lined with soot.
Preliminary investigations discovered the hearth had originated from a battery pack of a power-assisted bicycle (PAB) that was being charged in the lounge.
According to statistics launched by SCDF in September 2021, private electrical automobiles have been the reason for about 5 % of all residential fires in Singapore, with 29 such fires reported within the first half of 2021.
Personal mobility gadgets (PMDs) that catch fireplace normally achieve this due to batteries that have short-circuited, consultants informed The Straits Times in a earlier report.
One necessary cause that batteries short-circuit is harm to separators inside the batterythat stop constructive and destructive electrodes from touching.
Causes of separator harm embrace warmth from overcharging the batteries and the usage of incompatible chargers.
SCDF reminded customers of PMDs and PABs to not cost batteries for an prolonged interval or in a single day. Users have been additionally reminded to not purchase or use non-original batteries.